Looking to save money on your HVAC bill and enjoy cleaner air quality in your home? Be good about changing the air filters in your home.
First, you want to replace the air filter in the return air duct. Here’s a list of steps to take:
- Unhook the latch on the cover grille.
- Next, you want to wipe down the grill and ensure that it’s clean. A microfiber cloth cleans the best. To remove dust that may have accumulated on the slates, you can use the tip of a flat screwdriver. Simply wrap the microfiber cloth around the screwdriver and clean in between the slates. Alternatively, you can vacuum the cover of the grille using a brush attachment.
- Now its time to Insert a new filter, double-check and make sure you have the correct size filter and that it is in the correct furnace filter direction. Close the cover grille and secure the latch.
Second, you need to replace the air filter in the air handler cabinet. How do you do it? Here’s the process:
- First off, be sure to turn off the power to the HVAC unit. The unit manual is a good place to check if you don’t know-how. Neve runs a furnace without a filter in place.
- Next, you can remove or unlatch the door and clean it the same way mentioned above.
- For a disposable filter, simply replace it with a new filter. Make sure the size is correct.
- Brush the reusable filter to remove surface dirt. Next, run a vacuum over the face with a brush attachment. This will pull out more embedded dust and dirt.
- Now, using low-pressure, spray water on the filter to clean it. Run water through the filter in the opposite direction of airflow. Replace the dry reusable filter.
- All set, now turn the unit back on.
Now enjoy cleaner more efficient airflow in your home.